Wednesday, May 5, 2010

A few words of wisdom from Brother George Whitfield.


But he is unworthy the name of a minister of the gospel of peace, who is unwilling, not only to have his name cast out as evil, but also to die for the truths of the Lord Jesus.

If your souls were not immortal, and you in danger of losing them, I would not thus speak unto you; but the love of your souls constrains me to speak: methinks this would constrain me to speak unto you forever.

It is a poor sermon that gives no offense; that neither makes the hearer displeased with himself nor with the preacher.

It is an undoubted truth that every doctrine that comes from God, leads to God; and that which doth not tend to promote holiness is not of God.

Let us, therefore, not be weary of well-doing; for we shall reap an eternal harvest of comfort, if we faint not.

Mere heathen morality, and not Jesus Christ, is preached in most of our churches.

No, if we come in the spirit and power of our Master, in this, as in every other part of his sufferings, we must follow his steps.

No, the religion of Jesus is a social religion.

O my brethren, my heart is enlarge towards you. I trust I feel something of that hidden, but powerful presence of Christ, whilst I am preaching to you.

Press forward. Do not stop, do not linger in your journey, but strive for the mark set before you.

Take care of your life and the Lord will take care of your death.

The great and important duty which is incumbent on Christians, is to guard against all appearance of evil; to watch against the first risings in the heart to evil; and to have a guard upon our actions, that they may not be sinful, or so much as seem to be so.

The righteousness of Jesus Christ is one of those great mysteries, which the angels desire to look into, and seems to be one of the first lessons that God taught men after the fall.

You see, my brethren, my heart is full; I could almost say it is too big to speak, and yet too big to be silent, without dropping a word to you.

We are immortal until our work on earth is done.

No comments: