Tuesday, April 20, 2010

The Great Change - When you were Converted!


The Great Change -
Conversion

CAN YOU NOT remember, dearly-beloved, that
day of days, that best and brightest of hours, when
first you saw the Lord, lost your burden, received
the roll of promise, rejoiced in full salvation, and
went on your way in peace?
When I was in the hand of the Holy Spirit, under
conviction of sin, I had a clear and sharp sense of
the justice of God. Sin, whatever it might be to other
people, became to me an intolerable burden. It was
not so much that I feared hell, as that I feared sin;
and all the while, I had upon my mind a deep concern
for the honour of God's name, and the integrity
of His moral government. I felt that it would not
satisfy my conscience if I could be forgiven unjustly.
But then there came the question,—"How could
God be just, and yet justify me who had been so
guilty?" I was worried and wearied with this question;
neither could I see any answer to it. Certainly, I
could never have invented an answer which would
have satisfied my conscience. The doctrine of the
atonement is to my mind one of the surest proofs of
the Divine inspiration of Holy Scripture. Who
would or could have thought of the just Ruler dying
for the unjust rebel? This method of expiation is
only known among men because it is a fact: fiction
could not have devised it. God Himself ordained it;
it is not a matter which could have been imagined.
When I was anxious about the possibility of a just
God pardoning me, I understood and saw by faith
that He who is the Son of God became man, and in
His own blessed person bore my sin in His own
body on the tree. I saw that the chastisement of my
peace was laid on Him, and that with His stripes I
was healed. It was because the Son of God, supremely
glorious in His matchless person, undertook
to vindicate the law by bearing the sentence
due to me, that therefore God was able to pass by
my sin.

C.H. Spurgeon (1834-1892) - British Baptist
preacher known as the “prince of preachers.” He
wrote volumes of works that are still reprinted in our
day. Used to bring many souls to Christ in England.

- My heart still cries "O How can it be that thou my God dist die for me!"
- Aaron

No comments: